A hardware or a software or both of them working together is known as a web server. Considering the hardware side, the web server will store the software of the web server and the component files of the websites. It has a working connection of the internet and it will support the physical data interchange with having other devices that are connected to the web. On the other hand, the software side will include the various parts that will control how the users of the web will access the files that have been hosted.
What are the perks of using a web server?
- You can use PHP and ColdFusion which is the server – side scripting languages.
- It will also help you on getting your coding standardized. The paths that you use can help you represent the structure of your website.
- The knowledge that you will get with the help of your own web server can actually help you in understanding how it actually works in a live environment.
There are web servers that have features that enable you to do some of the following things:
- You can create one or more websites. It means that you can set up the website in the web server so that the website can be easily viewed through HTTP.
- You can create virtual directories and then further they can be mapped to the physical directories.
- Also you can specify the default documents. These are the ones that are displayed when there is no specification of the file name. you can also create a FTP site. This site will allow users to transfer the files from and to the site.
The working of the web servers
First and foremost your web browser will need to know which IP address the name of the domain will revolve to. If this information isn’t already stored in its cache then it will request for the information from one or more of the DNS servers, with the help of the internet. After the browser knows the IP address at which the website is been located at, it will then request for the entire URL form the web server. Further, the page that has been requested will be sent back by the web server. In case there is an error that occurs or the page doesn’t exist a error message will be sent back appropriately. Finally the web browser receives the desired page and then it will render it as per the requirement.